Friday, April 26, 2013

Food Friday

 Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp

This week I cam across this recipe from the Swiss Paleo website. I do not follow a pure Paleo diet although when trying to add in more whole foods into my family's foods I am always looking for healthy, cleaner and whole food recipes to try. This one was a winner in our house. My girls loved it as did our dinner guests so I wanted to pass over to all my readers.  

First off, I decided to make individual crisps. I figured having proper portions would be good since there have been times one more bite turns into 3 more, 5 more and then......Yikes!  

Ingredients for the filling:
  • 3 cups of rhubarb, diced (this was about 5 long stalks)
  • 3 cups strawberries, diced
  • zest from one orange
  • 4-6 Tablespoons honey (I ended up using 6 Tablespoons of organic raw honey)
  • pinch of salt
  • 1 teaspoon lemon juice
  • 2 Tablespoons arrowroot powder
  • 1 serving of Chia seeds (Mila brand is what I use) 
I diced the rhubarb and strawberries and placed into a big bowl. I then added the remaining ingredients for the filling and set aside.

                                 




For the Crisp, I modified the original recipe a bit and used the following. You mix all into a bowl. When you add the butter I found a fork worked great to cut it into the mix.
  • 1/4 cup roasted almonds, chopped
  • 1/4 cup roasted hazelnuts, chopped
  • 3/4 cups almond flour
  • 2 Tablespoons coconut flour
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 cup honey
  • 3 Tablespoons butter or coconut oil (The recipe called for 4, I cut it down by 1 and I feel I could even go down to 2Tbls for less crumble, although that is the best part:))
I placed the filling mix into the souffle cups/ramekins that I had sprayed with non-stick cooking spray.  I sprinkled the above crisp mix on top of the filling. I baked at 350 degrees for 18 minutes. You could also put it into a pie dish or 8x8 baking dish.  We didn't serve anything on top although it would be delish with one dollop of light whip cream.




YUM!!!  
Prep time was short and easy so gift it a try. It will be worth it....I promise!

Thanks to the Swiss Paleo. Visit their site for me delicious recipe ideas. 

1 comment: