Friday, April 5, 2013

Food Friday

Oven Baked Chicken
Wholesome, Healthy Goodness!


As I am always looking for fun and new recipes for chicken, I came across a favorite new item from my "go-to" for cracker...Mary's Gone Crackers.  They now offer Just The Crumbs, breadcrumbs for baking. I thought I would give it a go and I have to say I am in love. It is just the right amount of crumbs for my Oven Baked Chicken. This is a healthier version of Fried Chicken as you get the crunch without the fat! If you are looking for a great way to add a little sass to your plain old chicken, give it a try. Let me know what you think!

What you will need: 
1.Boneless, skinless chicken breasts (or your favorite pieces)
     I did use Free Range chicken drumsticks for my girls but I took the skin off and they turned out     
     amazing as well. 
2. Egg whites (2-3)
3. 1 scoop Chia seed (I use Mila, you can browse my earlier posts about Mila to learn more about it)
4. Coconut Oil Cooking spray

Preheat your oven to 375 degrees
I sprayed my baking dish with the Coconut oil cooking spray. 
I then began by mixing the egg whites and chia together and then the seeds hydrate a bit. I wanted it to be thick. I cut the skin off my drumsticks and cut excess fat off of my boneless/skinless chicken breasts and began dipping the pieces into the egg white mixture.  I would take each piece and press it into the 'Just the Cumbs' making sure all sides were coated.  I placed each piece in the sprayed baking dish, sprinkled a few more crumbs along with a pinch of S+P. I did a tiny drizzle of olive oil over the chicken, you can also opt to use a few sprays of the Coconut Oil Cooking Spray or other alternative.  

I baked the chicken for 35-45 minutes until the chicken was cooked through. I always check my chicken when I bake it as that is one of my biggest fears is eating undercooked chicken. No bueno for anyone involved:) 

I served this with a giant spinach salad topped with Strawberries, dry roasted almonds, a slice of avocado and some fresh corn.  Well frozen had to do for us as we are not quite into the "fresh" season yet here in Bend. 



Ingredients needed

finished goodness!
 Enjoy and let me know how you like it

No comments:

Post a Comment