Saturday, May 4, 2013

A little late to my Food Friday post!

Cinco de Mayo!

Better late than never. This past week turned out to be a little busier than normal so my poor little blog seem to take a backseat.  I was sad as this is a place I love to come and share my week.  I figured better late than never so here is my Food Friday post. 

With Cinco de Mayo coming up and with one of my favorite foods being on the menu, I wanted to pass over some healthy tips and recipes for keeping it low cal, full of flavor and still have some fun.
This is what we will be having on Sunday!  

Chicken Fajitas                               
saute chicken breasts into skillet with chicken broth and or stock, you can add in your favorite seasoning. I usually add  fresh ground chili powder, cumin, salt, pepper, garlic, and some chopped tomatoes.  Add fresh peppers and onions if you like them.  Serve over steamed corn tortillas or flour but limit the flower to 2 and the corn to 3 tortillas. Top with salsa and non-fat plain yogurt. You could even add a sliver or two of avocado.  

Mexican Salad                    
Fresh greens, super greens or romaine are my favorites.  Chop some jicama (this has been a staple around our house lateley) copped tomatoes, chopped beets (fresh) and sprinkle a little cotija cheese or goat cheese if dairy does not suit you. You can even sprinkle with some baked corn tortillas. ( I bake these at 350 degrees until crisp) 

Honey Lime Dressing
1/4 to 1/2 of avocado (amazing flavor and amazing healthy fat) 
1/2 cup lime juice
1/4 cup or less of raw honey
s+p
a dash of chili powder
you could also juice one orange for a little added citrus flavor.  
I use our magic bullet for salad dressings ALL the time. You can also store in your fridge and re-use up to 3-5 days. 

New-Refried Beans (from my friend Shanti at Sweat Play Live) Thanks Shanti!!
1 lb. beans boiled till soft, w/ garlic and 1/2 onion (about 2 hours). Put in blender till smooth. Heat 3-4T Coconut oil in pan, add puréed beans and stir till incorporated. Salt. If too stiff..add water till smooth.

Cinnamon Baked Chips 
This is a favorite dessert in our house and they are so easy to make. As I mentioned above in the salad recipe, I use corn tortillas and spray with a little coconut oil and sprinkle with a little cinnamon sugar that I make (cinnamon and raw sugar blend) You can also bake the non cinnamon chips along side them and then you have a really fun small sweet dessert to finish off your Mexican fiesta. No guilt! 
Happy Cinco de Mayo everyone!


No comments:

Post a Comment