Friday, February 7, 2014

Food Friday!

Food Friday! 

Vegetarian Jack Burgers

Thank you Vegetarian Times for this delicious recipe!


On a cold Friday night what better way to end the week than with a delicious burger! Since we don't do a whole lot of meat in our house (Kiva Sun Bison is the exception) this burger has found its way into our hearts and home. 

I found this yummy recipe on Vegetarian Times and knew right away I had to try it out.  I am so glad I did and I am super excited to share it this week. 

My girls loved it. My husband loved it and well I think you can guess what I thought:) Plus how much easier can it get.  Check out the recipe below.  I made a few modification as I ended up making our own lentils with onion and bay. and In lieu of the Bob's Red Mill gluten free pancake mix, I used Pamela's as that is our normal brand we keep on hand.

  • 1 15-oz. can Eden Foods lentils with onion & bay leaf, rinsed and drained
  • ½ large onion, finely chopped (1 cup)
  • 2 medium carrots, shredded (1 cup)
  • ¾ cup prepared marinara sauce
  • ¾ cup walnuts, finely chopped
  • ¾ cup Bob’s Red Mill gluten-free pancake mix
  • 1 Tbs. Bob’s Red Mill nutritional yeast
1. Combine all ingredients in large bowl.
2. Spray large skillet with cooking spray, and heat over medium heat. Scoop batter by 1/3 cupfuls onto hot skillet, and cook 3 to 4 minutes, or until bottoms of patties have browned. Flip, cover pan, and cook 5 to 7 minutes more, or until browned on both sides and vegetables have softened.

We served our burgers over a huge kale salad. The girls had their favorite hamburger buns  and we even melted a little goat cheddar over them for a little more fun. 

Honestly unless you are a burger connoisseur, you will not miss out on all the beef of traditional burgers plus you are getting some serious healthy protein from the lentils. 

Let me know what you think and enjoy! This is definitely a keeper!

Get Fit. Live Fit. Be Fit and Eat Well!

No comments:

Post a Comment