Friday, January 31, 2014

Food Friday-Zucchini Noodle Pesto

Food Friday

Green Friday with Zucchini Noodle Pesto


I have been loving all the fun recipes on the Vega Clean Plant Based Nutrition website. Not only am I a huge fan and Ambassador of their plant based proteins and Sports Nutrition products but they offer a huge resource and collection of recipes.  You can view their recipe collections here.

I found this late into my recent 21 Day Purification. This is a great dish with huge flavor and adds so much use for my fridge that has been overstocked with Zucchini. 


First off, I used our Spiral Vegetable and Fruit Slicer I got here on Amazon. We use this kitchen tool more than I thought and my girls just love making just about anything with it these days.  More on that in a later post.  

If you don't have one of these in your kitchen you can julienne them or use a mandolin as well.  They all work great. 

Ingredients:

Pesto
1 cup pine nuts
1 cup basil
2 cloves garlic
2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
1 tbsp. + 1 tsp. VEGA Antioxidant Omega blend oil ( I ended up using some olive oil for this as I didn't have my Vega oil blend on hand)
2 tbsp. water

Noodles
4 zucchini, washed
2 tomatoes, chopped
6 basil leaves, julienned

The How To: 
  1. To make pesto, combine the pine nuts, basil, garlic cloves, lemon juice, omega blend oil and water in a high-powered blender or food processor.
  2. Pulse until you get the texture you prefer. You can make the pesto as smooth or chunky as you like.
  3. Peel the outer layer of the Zucchini. Using a Julianne peeler or spiralizer, shred the zucchini.
  4. Place noodles into a large bowl. Add the pesto and toss to combine.
  5. Top with chopped tomatoes and basil leaves. 

Let me know what you think! 
Get Fit. Live Fit. Be Fit and Eat well!



No comments:

Post a Comment