Friday, August 9, 2013

Food Friday-Summertime Essentials

Cool Summer Foods to freshen your day!

So I am posting a refreshing new twist on a vegetable that is often can often be associated with
 'ants on a log', 'bloody mary's' or dipped into the infamous ranch dressing. 

I wanted to find a dish that would boost celery above the norms and add in some new flavor and viola` I was introduced (thanks to our friend, Phil) to the: 

Fennel and Celery Salad

this salad comes via http://markbittman.com/recipes/
Now fennel is not something that makes its way into my cooking all that often but now I am beginning to wonder why. It has amazing flavor and a texture similar to celery making this my new favorite salad.  

Here is what you need: 

2 medium fennel bulbs, trimmed, some fronds reserved (I refer to these as the furry parts)
3 celery ribs, trimmed
1/4 cup (or less) of extra virgin olive oil
3 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice..I ended up using a little more. 
salt to taste and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper+ more to taste
freshly shaved Parmesan cheese.  

1.  Cut the fennel bulbs in quarters lengthwise, discarding outer layer if the outer layer is tough. Use a mandolin (carefully;)) to slice quarters thin.  Slice the celery as thin as you did the fennel. 
2. Put the fennel and celery into a large bowl and drizzle with olive oil and fresh lemon juice.  Season with the salt and pepper to taste, toss and combine gently.  Top with Parmesan and chop fennel fronds and enjoy!  I even topped with a couple of my homemade gluten free foccacia bread croutons.  

 You seriously can't beat this salad.  Pair with a mock-tail of sparkling water, fresh lime and cucumber and this is a perfect start to any meal. 

Enjoy and don't forget to get out and move!  

No comments:

Post a Comment