Thursday, March 28, 2013

Food Friday

Welcome to Food Friday!

OK...we are nearing the end of the week and looking forward to the weekend. I am a huge meal planner Sunday through Thursday and then usually things get a little wonky.  I am starting Food Friday's to get a good recipe base going for my followers plus keep me on track from the weekend and week. 

Planning is key so keeping things healthy into the weekend will set you up for success for the week ahead.  

This is a favorite recipe and a great staple in our family. I am able to get in extra veggies and even throw in some Mila (Chia Seeds) to the recipe for an extra boost.  

Zucchini Lasagna with Pine Nut Ricotta

2-3 medium zucchinis

Ricotta: 
1 cup pine nuts, soaked for 4-6 hours
1 cup blanched almond flour
2-3 tablespoons fresh squeezed lemon juice
1-2 tablespoons water
1/2 teaspoon sea salt

Other: 
3-4 cups pasta sauce
sauteed sliced mushrooms (I use balsamic, salt and pepper) 
fresh spinach or other super greens
fresh basil
Mila chia seed

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly oil a 9x13 inch pan

Make zucchini noodles by cutting long, thin, flat strips about 1/8 to 1/4 inch
(I love my mandolin as it does all the work for me)

To make ricotta, drain the pine nuts and add them to a food processor fitted with the "s" blade along with the remaining ingredients. process until it is pasty

To assemble the lasagna, first pour about one cup pasta sauce on bottom of pan and spread. Place a layer of zucchini "noodles" over the sauce. Take half o the ricotta and spread it over the noodles. Add the other ingredients plus any other you want to add. I love adding the mushrooms, super greens and fresh basil.  Add another cup of pasta sauce and repeat the layering process.  Then add the rest of the sauce and final layers of zucchini noodles. Drizzle with olive oil over the noodles and then sprinkle with any fresh herbs and a few tablespoons of blanched almond flour. 

Bake 40-45 minutes. Let it rest 10 and enjoy.  

I love serving this with fresh arugula, sea salt, light drizzle of olive oil and fresh parm. 

ENJOY!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment